FAQ Logement

How to apply for accommodation

  1. Complete the application form on the AEU website (or ask for a paper form at the University Open Day).

  2. Confirm your application by paying the fee (either by card, bank transfer or cheque).

Warning: any application which has not been confirmed via the payment of an application fee will not be considered.

  1. Your application will be processed (you will receive a response within 8 weeks).

  2. Your application will be either:

    1. Successful : you will be sent a commitment contract (this should be returned before the date shown on the contract)

    2. Unsuccessful: your application fee will be reimbursed.

IMPORTANT: Your accommodation reservation is not definite until your contract is received along with the first rent payment. Any incomplete forms will not be processed.

Allocation of accommodation

The accommodation allocation board will take into account your preferences as much as possible according to availability.

Contract duration

  • 1st semester : one semester from august
  • 2nd semestre : one semester from january
  • Academic year : arrival in august for one year

If you wish to terminate your contract during the year, you must provide a month’s notice.

Reservations may be made during the year subject to availability.

Cancelling an application for accommodation

Your application fee will be reimbursed in full in the following instances :

  • if you cancel your application in writing before 15th July if you have received confirmation of a place in university accommodation

  • if we cannot successfully deal with your application.

Accommodation application procedure

- When do I need to apply for accommodation for the following academic year ?

It is strongly recommended that you apply for accommodation from 1st December before the start of the new academic year.


- I would like to apply for accommodation in one of your university accommodations, how do I do this ?

There are two options :

  • Either via the university website

  • Or by filling in the paper form you received at one of the university’s Open Days.

In both cases, you must pay the application fee in order to confirm your application. Any application not accompanied by the required fee will not be processed.


- What is the application fee for ?

The application fee means that your application for accommodation is confirmed, and is linked to the administrative processes involved in dealing with your application :

  • Dealing with your application

  • Accommodation inventory

  • The welcome process at the beginning of the year

You can pay the fee by card, cheque or bank transfer.

This fee is not deductible from the first rent instalment.

Please be aware that, paying the application fee does not guarantee you a place in University accommodation. If we are unable to provide a room for you, we will reimburse your fee in full.

If you cancel your application before 15th July preceding the start of the academic year, we will reimburse your fee whatever the reason for your cancellation.


- I would like to study at a school or faculty at the Catholic University of Lille. However, I do not yet know if I have got the grades to study here, or if I have been accepted into the university. Should I apply for accommodation anyway ?

We would advise you to apply in any case. Thanks to our flexible fee system, you have until 15th July to cancel your application and we will reimburse you in full.


- How long does it take to process my application ?

We aim to process applications within 8 weeks of receiving the application fee.

Life in University accommodation

University accommodation is so much more than just a place to rest your head at night. It is a place to work, play and live. In the second year, residents can return for another year as a residential mentor and help new students with the transition to university life.

Our objective is to allow every student to live in the right surroundings in order to help them succeed in their studies.

Criteria for allocating accommodation

-What are the criteria that I need to meet in order to receive an offer of University accommodation ?

Priority is given to first-year students at the Catholic University of Lille for places in university accommodation.

Applications are then processed according to certain criteria :

  • Age

  • Date of the application

  • How far away from home you will be

  • Whether you have received a scholarship


- I will not be studying at a school or faculty with the Catholic University of Lille next year. Will I still be able to stay in one of your accommodations ?

Subject to availability, you may eventually be given a place in one of our university residences. However, your application will not be given priority.


- I would like to be in the same university accommodation as another student, is this possible ?

This is possible subject to availability. Please write the names of the student or students in question on your application form.

Rental contracts

- What is the contract duration ?

Our contracts run for a year and are automatically renewed at the end of the year. For contracts running for the academic year, contracts start on 1st August and end on 31st July.


- I would like to terminate my contract. What should I do ?

To end your contract early, you are requested to provide us with a month’s notice. This will be valid from the date that we receive your letter of notice.


- What fees should i pay (except my monthly rent) ?

Corresponding to :

    • The housing deposit, you'll have your deposit back when you will leave the residence if there is no problem in your room (month of rent),
    • The AEU service card : 5€,
    • The water and electricity fees - Except Saint Omer residence (49€ / month),
    • The annual water fees for one year - Only for Saint Omer* residence (120€),
    • The annual contribution - Include Association fees, animation and life in the residence fees . (96€).
    • The annual services - Include reception, provision of breakfast, laundry, maintenance of common areas, technical assistance, maintenance of common equipment. If you don't stay one year, we'll refund a part of those fees back. (480€).

*For Saint Omer residence, you'll have to contact the French Company of Electricity (EDF) to open an account.

For Saint Luc residence, you'll have to pay your water, heater and electricity fees regarding your consumption.

Other questions

- Is it possible to visit the university accommodations ?

You may only visit the university residences during one of the open days organised by the university.


- Are there double rooms available ?

No, all our rooms are single rooms.


- Is your accommodation mixed ?

Yes, all our accommodation is mixed.


- Can residents access their accommodation at all times ?

Yes, residents can enter and leave as they please.


Are your rooms furnished ?

All our rooms are furnished. They include a bed, desk, chair, refrigerator, corner sink and wardrobe as standard.


- Can I apply for housing benefit from the CAF if I live in university accommodation ?

You can apply for help with rent from the CAF if you live in university accommodation. We will send you the necessary documents when your application has been approved.